Rice with Chilies ‘n’ Veggies
I turned to a particular dish when I wanted to use peppers I grew in my garden. I promptly rewrote the recipe to include several other fresh veggies and this was the result. It's a perfect side dish for just about anything. —Kate Selner of Lino Lakes, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Place milk and corn in a food processor. Cover and process until smooth; set aside. In a large skillet, saute rice in oil for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in the onion, zucchini, red pepper, carrot, chilies, garlic and corn mixture; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 134 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Poblano Rice with Vegetables in Light & Tasty August/September 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.