I turned to a particular dish when I wanted to use peppers I grew in my garden. I promptly rewrote the recipe to include several other fresh veggies and this was the result. It's a perfect side dish for just about anything. —Kate Selner of Lino Lakes, Minnesota
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Place milk and corn in a food processor. Cover and process until smooth; set aside. In a large skillet, saute rice in oil for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in the onion, zucchini, red pepper, carrot, chilies, garlic and corn mixture; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Rice with Chilies 'n' Veggies in Light & Tasty August/September 2006, p21
Reviews forRice with Chilies 'n' Veggies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 6, 2009
"very good!! will make again"