Rice Turkey Casserole
This creamy casserole is always one of the first to go in a buffet line. When I want to indicate serving size, I use sliced cheese squares on the top rather than shredded cheese.—Ferne Carter Chapman, Tacoma, Washington
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1-3/4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil; add the wild rice. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add the long grain rice; simmer 25 minutes longer or until tender.
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, broccoli, onion, carrot and celery in oil until tender. Add the turkey, pimientos, salt, marjoram and oregano. Stir in the rice.
- In a large saucepan, combine the flour, milk and wine until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the Swiss cheese and 1 cup cheddar cheese until melted. Add to turkey mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 432 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 744mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Turkey Rice Casserole in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.