This creamy casserole is always one of the first to go in a buffet line. When I want to indicate serving size, I use sliced cheese squares on the top rather than shredded cheese.—Ferne Carter Chapman, Tacoma, Washington
Recommended: Top 10 Casserole Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1-3/4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 5 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil; add the wild rice. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add the long grain rice; simmer 25 minutes longer or until tender.
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, broccoli, onion, carrot and celery in oil until tender. Add the turkey, pimientos, salt, marjoram and oregano. Stir in the rice.
- In a large saucepan, combine the flour, milk and wine or broth until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the Swiss cheese and 1 cup cheddar cheese until melted. Add to turkey mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Rice Casserole in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p162
Reviews forRice Turkey Casserole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 25, 2010
"Very good, could have used a little spice liketabasco. I used white rice because I didn't have wild rice. Tasty way to use leftovers."