I created this recipe for a contest a long time ago. With an abundance of tomatoes in our garden each year, I had to come up with something new. I serve this as a side dish or lively lunch.
Recommended: 32 Super-Refreshing Dinners to Make This Winter
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes
- In a bowl, combine the first nine ingredients; mix well. Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out and discard pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. cut a thin slice off bottom of tomatoes to level if necessary. Fill with rice salad. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Rice Salad in Tomato Cups in Reminisce Extra April 2003, p52