Rice Salad in Tomato Cups
I created this recipe for a contest a long time ago. With an abundance of tomatoes in our garden each year, I had to come up with something new. I serve this as a side dish or lively lunch.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes
- In a bowl, combine the first nine ingredients; mix well. Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out and discard pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. cut a thin slice off bottom of tomatoes to level if necessary. Fill with rice salad. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 326 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Rice Salad in Tomato Cups in Reminisce Extra April 2003