Rice Pudding Cake
The secret ingredient in this delicious cake is rice. It tastes a lot like rice pudding, only in a different form.—Nancy Horsburgh, Everett, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Boiling water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- Confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cover raisins with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, cover rice with water; bring to a boil. Drain the liquid; add milk to rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Add the rice mixture, raisins and orange zest. Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter. Spoon into a greased 10-in. tube pan. Sprinkle with crumbs.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm or chilled.