Rice and Barley Pilaf
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine broth and wild rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in barley and brown rice; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until grains are tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and celery in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice mixture, cheese, cream and pepper; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 176 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Oct 2, 2016
Fantastic recipe...! I used broth from preparing saut?ed spinach in garlic oil and chicken broth. I tend to save all vegetable/meat cooking water to use in preparing rice dishes or soup. We loved the texture of the barley and the added vegetables made the dish a perfect side dish. Will use leftovers to make fried "rice". This recipe is definitely a healthy keeper!
Aug 31, 2011
Perfect the way it is. Delicious!
Feb 7, 2010
needs more spices, not sure what, but will experiment.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.