Ribs with Caraway Kraut and Stuffing Balls
I live alone but like entertaining often and offering hearty meals to guests. Everyone compliments me on these ribs and their old-world flavor.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 3 pounds boneless country-style pork ribs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, drained
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- STUFFING BALLS:
- 1 package (8 ounces) herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- 1-1/3 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- In a large skillet, brown ribs; drain. Combine the sauerkraut, tomato juice, broth, apple, brown sugar, caraway, salt and pepper; pour over ribs. Cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- For stuffing balls, combine stuffing mix, water and butter; mix lightly and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in eggs; mix well. Shape into 2-in. balls; place over ribs and sauerkraut. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts8 ounce-weight: 707 calories, 39g fat (17g saturated fat), 242mg cholesterol, 1743mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 48g protein.
Originally published as Ribs with Caraway Kraut and Stuffing Balls in Country Pork