Ribs ‘N’ Stuffed Cabbage
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 3 pounds pork spareribs
- 1 large head cabbage (3-1/4 pounds)
- 1-1/4 pounds uncooked ground beef
- 1 pound uncooked ground pork
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 package (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- Place ribs in two 13-in. x 9-in. in baking pans. Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, remove core from cabbage. In a large kettle, cook cabbage in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove outer leaves when softened. Return cabbage to boiling water until 12 leaves are softened and removed. Save remaining cabbage for another use.
- Remove thick center veins from the leaves. In a bowl, combine the beef, pork, onions, rice, garlic, salt and pepper. Place about 1/2 cup on each cabbage leaf. Fold in sides; roll up, starting at an unfolded edge.
- Drain ribs. Spread 1/4 cup tomato puree and 1 cup sauerkraut in Dutch oven. Layer with ribs, 1 cup sauerkraut, cabbage rolls, remaining sauerkraut and remaining puree. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 45-55 minutes or until ribs are tender and a thermometer inserted into cabbage rolls read 160°. Serve with a slotted spoon or thicken juices if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 458 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 35g protein.
Oct 17, 2015
Delicious! The only thing I added was a little smoked paprika, just because we like it.Exactly the recipe I was looking for, tasted like my mother made it. It's a keeper for me! Thanks for sharing:)
Jun 30, 2010
Apr 18, 2010
The best stuffed cabbage recipe I have ever had and the short ribs are out of this world!!! Thanks Paul Joseph Yuhas!!!
Mar 12, 2009
I grew up in a polish family and this is the only way I saw stuffed cabbage made. It brought back some memories..I will be making it this week for sure!! Thank you!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.