Rib Roast with Madeira Gravy Recipe
I discovered this recipe years ago, and it proved to be such a winner that I still enjoy serving it to family and friends during the holidays.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef ribeye roast (7 to 8 pounds)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine or additional beef broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Combine salt, thyme and pepper; rub over roast. Place fat side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° 3 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Transfer to a warm serving platter. Let stand 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, for gravy, pour pan drippings and loosened browned bits into a 4-cup measuring cup. Skim fat, reserving 1/4 cup; set drippings aside. In a skillet, saute the mushrooms and onion in reserved fat until tender. Add tomato paste; cook and stir until combined. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Add enough beef broth to reserved drippings to measure 3-1/2 cups. In a large saucepan, combine flour, wine, lemon juice and broth mixture until smooth. Stir in mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Slice roast and serve with gravy. Yield: 14-16 servings.
5 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup gravy: 465 calories, 32g fat (13g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 555mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 37g protein.
Reviews for Rib Roast with Madeira Gravy
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC