Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/4-inch pieces)
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons orange marmalade, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and tapioca. Add fruit; toss to coat. Gently stir in the juice, marmalade if desired and orange zest. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a deep-dish 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with fruit filling. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cover edges with foil.
- Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and rhubarb is tender. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 367 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
May 31, 2018
Absolutely delicious. The citrus pairs so well with the strawberries and rhubarb. Be prepared to share this recipe.
May 23, 2018
This Taste of Home volunteer field editor things this recipe rocks! I made it with just one substitution and one alteration. I cut the sugar to 1/2 cup and added two Tablespoons of lemon curd. Otherwise, I just followed the directions. No top crust for me. I used fresh strawberries and the rhubarb was just the perfect amount. I'll be making this again and again. My international friends will absolutely LOVE this recipe.
May 3, 2018
Light, fresh flavor. I was a little hesitant about the orange juice but followed the directions & it was wonderful. Family loved it. I will make this again (and again!). Thank you for sharing the best strawberry-rhubarb pie we've ever had.
Jun 10, 2017
Wonderful recipe! Pie turned out beautifully and had a great flavor!
May 7, 2017
We always love the combination of strawberries and rhubarb and this pie showcases the flavors nicely.
May 19, 2015
My husband was very surprised how delicious this pie tasted. He expected it to be really sour. He just kept saying this is really good. I will be baking this pie many more times.
Jun 27, 2014
Excellent taste and consistency.
Jun 15, 2014
Love the blend of rhubarb, strawberries and orange. Great pie!
Jun 7, 2014
Very good recipe. The orange added an extra level of flavor. I did not use the marmalade and I use clear gel instead of tapioca.
Jun 1, 2013
Nice and tangy
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.