Fresh rhubarb and strawberries make this sweet and icy dessert such a treat. You’ll love how quickly it comes together and that it’s prepared without any special equipment. —Christen Roye, Weatherford, Texas
Featured In: 32 Sweet and Tart Rhubarb Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup halved fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur or orange juice
- Fresh mint leaves and orange peel strips, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, sugar, rhubarb and strawberries to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Strain; discard pulp and seeds.
- Transfer syrup to an 8-in. square dish. Stir in orange liqueur; cool to room temperature. Freeze for 1 hour; stir with a fork. Freeze 2-3 hours longer or until completely frozen, stirring every 30 minutes. Stir granita with a fork just before serving; spoon into dessert dishes. Garnish with mint and orange peel if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Strawberry Granita in Simple & Delicious April/May 2011, p59