—Ruth Windle, Kettle Falls, Washington
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups diced rhubarb
- Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- For filling, blend flour and cream in a bowl until smooth. Add 1-1/4 cups sugar and egg yolks; mix well. Fold in vanilla and rhubarb. Pour into crust. Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until a sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make a meringue by beating egg whites until stiff. Add remaining sugar and beat again until stiff peaks form. Remove cake from oven; top with meringue immediately and broil lightly.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 199 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Squares in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook