Rhubarb Shortbread Squares Recipe
"I saw this recipe on the Internet and decided to try it since I had an abundance of rhubarb," says Marilyn Rodriguez of Fairbanks, Alaska. "It was a big hit!" The rhubarb topping is delicious and refreshing on a rich shortbread crust.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 4 to 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a saucepan, bring the rhubarb, sugar, water rand salt to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Stir into rhubarb mixture. Cook and stir until gelatin is dissolved. stir in food coloring if desired. Cover and refrigerate until cooled, about 2 hours.
- 3. Fold in whipped cream. Spread over crust. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Cut into squares. Yield: 9 servings.
1 each: 366 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 217mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Rhubarb Shortbread Squares
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC