Rhubarb Shortbread Squares
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 4 to 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, bring the rhubarb, sugar, water rand salt to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Stir into rhubarb mixture. Cook and stir until gelatin is dissolved. stir in food coloring if desired. Cover and refrigerate until cooled, about 2 hours.
- Fold in whipped cream. Spread over crust. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 366 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 217mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 12, 2011
This is a very pretty dessert that I served for a girls only dinner. The only thing I made a mistake on was in not using real unsalted butter. It came out a little salty but that was my fault. I should have been paying attention to the recipe