In New England, come April and May, we can see rhubarb growing alongside almost every barn. When I was a child, I remember I would pick a stalk and chew on it. One of my neighbors gave me this recipe years ago.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a saucepan, cook rhubarb, 1 cup sugar, water and butter until a sauce forms, about 7-8 minutes. Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking pan. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. Add milk and stir until smooth. Pour over rhubarb. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle on top. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 271 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 295mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Pudding in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook