- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup diced fresh rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/2 to 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Blend together sugar, egg and butter. Beat in buttermilk until smooth. Stir together salt, baking soda, baking powder and flour. Stir dry ingredients into buttermilk mixture; mix well. Stir in rhubarb. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle on top of batter. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until cake tests done. For sauce, mix sugar, margarine and milk; bring to boil and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve sauce over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forRhubarb Pudding Cake
"This was absolutely delicious. Would double the sauce next time."
"I've made a lot of rhubarb recipes, but this is by far the best. This is so delicious, I love it!!"
"Made it without the sauce and it was still fabulous! I might add a little bit more rhubarb next time though."