Rhubarb Pork Chop Bake
True, it's a little unusual to combine rhubarb with meat in an entree, but my family loves this recipe! It was created by my mother in an effort to use abundant rhubarb from our farm garden. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, too! -Edie deSpain Logan, Utah
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick and 7 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/2-inch pieces)
- 4 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a large skillet, cook the chops in oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until chops are lightly browned; drain. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, bread cubes, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and allspice.
- Place half of the rhubarb mixture in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with chops and remaining rhubarb mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or a thermometer reaches 160°.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Originally published as Rhurbarb Pork Chop Bake in Taste of Home April/May 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.