Rhubarb Pear Gelatin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced pears, drained and chopped
- Place gelatin and 1 cup marshmallows in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, water and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from the heat; pour over marshmallow mixture, stirring to dissolve gelatin. Stir in the cold water, pears and remaining marshmallows.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or until firm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 204 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 18, 2010
I first made the original recipe.The next time I substituted quartered strawberries for the pears, eliminated the marshmallows, covered the top with homemade whipped cream, and garnished with halved strawberries. Family inhaled it and it disappeared in moments at a church potluck.