Rhubarb Orange Cream Pie
The unique flavor combination in this specialty pie makes it a favorite around my dinner table. The rich, creamy custard-like filling, bits of fresh rhubarb and crunchy pecan topping add a variety of textures my guests rave about.—Terri Rocheleau, Mauckport, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Unroll pastry into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edges.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and orange juice concentrate; stir in the flour, salt and remaining sugar. Stir in rhubarb and butter. Fold in egg white mixture.
- Pour into pastry shell; sprinkle with pecans. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until center is set. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 364 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Orange Cream Pie in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.