Rhubarb-Orange Angel Food Torte
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3/4 cup frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons cornstach
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- Fresh raspberries, optional
- Prepare cake and bake cake according to package directions, using a 10-in. ungreased tube pan. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides of cake and remove from pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the rhubarb, raspberries, sugar, 4 tablespoons orange juice, orange zest and ginger. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat about 7 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining orange juice until smooth; gradually stir into the fruit mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- Split cake into three horizontal layers. Place the bottom layer on a serving plate; spread half of the rhubarb mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges; repeat layer. Top with the third layer. Frost top and sides with whipped topping. Garnish with raspberries if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 215 calories, 2g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 224mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 13, 2012
I made this cake for Easter. After a big meal, we waited a few hours and everyone thought it was great. Light, flavorful, and easy. I very seldom use a cake mix and like to make everything from scratch but I will make this again. I did use about 12 ounces of whipped topping instead of 8 ounces.
Apr 12, 2012
It was very easy to make and put together with a pretty presentation. It is also very easy to make a variation. Due to various situations, I had to make it with Strawberries, Cranberries and Lemon. It was delicious.
Apr 12, 2012
Really nice recipe. I used frozen raspberries and my first picking of rhubarb of the season. Fresh berries would have been nicer, of course. I'll try the recipe with strawberries next time.
Apr 12, 2012
We really liked this recipe...I couldn't find rhubard anywhere in town so just used the raspberries and topped with strawberries...will look forward to do it with the rhubarb....
Apr 5, 2012
Just great, making it for my daughter Easter dinner
May 25, 2011
The cake overall is fine, but what is really fantastic is the rhubarb sauce - I have made it a couple of times for other applications - ice cream topping, etc.
May 15, 2009
I made this torte for a church gathering and everyone loved it, every little crumb was eaten.