- 1 package (16 ounces) one-step angel food cake mix
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3/4 cup frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons cornstach
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- Fresh raspberries, optional
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake according to package directions. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides of cake and remove from pan.
- In a saucepan, combine the rhubarb, raspberries, sugar, 4 tablespoons orange juice, orange peel and ginger. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until rhubarb is tender, about 7 minutes. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining orange juice until smooth; stir into the fruit mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- Split cake into three horizontal layers. Place the bottom layer on a serving plate; spread half of the rhubarb mixture evenly to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with second cake layer; spread remaining rhubarb mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Replace cake top. Frost top and sides with whipped topping. Garnish with raspberries if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forRhubarb-Orange Angel Food Torte
"Really nice recipe. I used frozen raspberries and my first picking of rhubarb of the season. Fresh berries would have been nicer, of course. I'll try the recipe with strawberries next time."
"We really liked this recipe...I couldn't find rhubard anywhere in town so just used the raspberries and topped with strawberries...will look forward to do it with the rhubarb...."
"Just great, making it for my daughter Easter dinner"
"The cake overall is fine, but what is really fantastic is the rhubarb sauce - I have made it a couple of times for other applications - ice cream topping, etc."
"I made this torte for a church gathering and everyone loved it, every little crumb was eaten."