- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Add rhubarb and 1-1/2 cups sugar; cook over medium heat until rhubarb is tender, about 10 minutes Meanwhile, combine cornstarch, salt, cream and remaining sugar; beat well. Mix in egg yolks. Add a small amount of hot rhubarb mixture; mix well. Return all to pan; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Pour into pastry shell. For meringue, beat egg whites until foamy; add vanilla and cream of tartar. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Immediately spread over pie, sealing to the edge of the pastry. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool completely. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forRhubarb Meringue Pie
"This is excellent. Everyone I make this for absolutely loves it."
"Very yummy. My brother-in-law said he didn't usually like rhubarb, but he loved this pie."