Rhubarb Meringue Pie
Each year, we grow quite a bit of rhubarb...so the main ingredient when I make this pie is homegrown! It's my favorite rhubarb dessert come spring. We have six grown children, one who's 15 and five grandchildren.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Add rhubarb and 1-1/2 cups sugar; cook over medium heat until rhubarb is tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt and remaining sugar. Stir in cream until smooth. Stir into rhubarb mixture. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Pour into pastry shell.
- For meringue, beat egg whites until foamy; add vanilla and cream of tartar. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Immediately spread over pie, sealing to the edge of the pastry.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool completely. Store in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 458 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 251mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (60g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 20, 2016
This is excellent. Everyone I make this for absolutely loves it.
May 17, 2009
Very yummy. My brother-in-law said he didn't usually like rhubarb, but he loved this pie.