Rhubarb Lemon Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and ginger. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil and lemon zest. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
1 each: 203 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
May 29, 2019I subbed plain greek yogurt for buttermilk and found the batter to be a bit dry and not quite coming together. Added 1 tsp of vanilla extract and about 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Got the batter to a working consistency and baked as directed, added my own streusel topping. Baked for 25 mins and cooled for 5 before moving to rack to completely cool. First time baking with rhubarb and my family enjoyed the sweet/tanginess. The recipe was easy to follow and I attribute my experience with the batter not quite coming together with me subbing out buttermilk. Would definitely use this recipe again!
May 30, 2014
This is delicious, very light & lemony. Will be making again. And again.
Apr 30, 2012
So simple yet so delish! I will make this again before the rhubarb season is over!
Apr 24, 2012
Very moist, light & tart. Just the right amount of rhubarb & lemon. Very good way to use up some of that rhbarb! :)
May 18, 2011
I liked this muffin however I think I would add a bit more sugar. It was moist and quite tasty.