Rhubarb Ketchup Recipe
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Place pickling spice on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasoning; tie securely with string. Add to saucepan. Cook 1 hour or until thickened.
- 2. Discard spice bag. Cool ketchup. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-7 cups.
2 tablespoons: 43 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Reviews for Rhubarb Ketchup
"Loved the flavor! Not ketchup though. I cooked on low for 3 hours and it still isn't that thick. Will use whenever a recipe calls for chili sauce and on top of meatloaf as well. I also used my immersible blender to smooth it out."
"The pickling spice over powered everything, will not be making again."
"This recipe is fantastic!!! My daughter who puts ketchup on everything loves it. I did use one reviewers suggestion to use the immersion blender to smooth it out. It's great and has become our replacement for good old tomato ketchup.Thanks for sharing!!!"
"YUM!!!I've served it on pork & it is finger lickin' good!"
"After cooking the sauce down a bit, I used an immersion blender to smooth it out a little. It is absolutely wonderful with turkey burgers."
"This is terrific!! mmmmmmI will never have store bought ketchup again."