Rhubarb Gingersnap Parfaits
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons coarsely crushed gingersnaps
- In a large saucepan, bring rhubarb and sugar to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until rhubarb is tender and mixture is reduced to 1-1/3 cups. Remove from the heat. Cool for 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Beat in confectioners' sugar. Add sour cream and extract; beat until stiff peaks form.
- In four parfait glasses, place about 2 tablespoons rhubarb mixture and 1/4 cup cream mixture; repeat layers. Sprinkle with gingersnaps. Chill until serving.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 358 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 29, 2016
I couldn't bear the thought of eating spoons full of sour cream so I added 4 oz of marscapone to 8 oz of heavy whipping cream, 2 Tbsp sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and beat to stiff peaks. I also layered crumbs (bottom), rhubarb, whipped cream mixture and repeated. Pretty good but think it'd be better with graham cracker crumbs instead of gingersnaps. I made it for my dad since rhubarb is his favorite and he loved it! Thanks Diane!
May 3, 2010
Loved these. Great light dessert on a hot day.