Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 5 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 to 4 drops red food coloring
- 2 cups dry white or yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Place rhubarb in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add food coloring. Cool slightly and pour over rhubarb.
- Sprinkle with cake mix, coconut and nuts. Drizzle with butter. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until cake tests done.
May 31, 2015
Very easy to make and the flavours are excellent. It reminds me of apple crisp, only with rhubarb.I will make this again, but I think I might reduce the amount of coconut and walnuts; I found it a little heavy and wanted to taste more of the rhubarb. I would also cover it during the last 15 minutes or so of baking, as my topping did burn in a couple of places.Definitely a keeper recipe!
Jul 13, 2009
I made this (without trying it out first!!!) to guests and they raved. They called it rhubarb pie and I didn't correct them. Yummy and the end-result of toasted coconut and nuts (as mentioned previously) is especially good! I will make again absolutely!
Jul 11, 2009
Great Recipe! I am not a rhubarb person (never have been). This recipe is really good, looks interesting after it comes out of the oven (the coconut and nuts are toasted). Excellent! Will make again! Now I have a good way to use the rhubarb that goes in yard!
Jun 2, 2009
When using frozen rhubarb do you thaw it first or just put in frozen?
May 20, 2009
All I can say is . . . YUMMY! This is an excellent recipe! We have made it several times and is a family favorite when the rhubarb is ready in the garden!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.