Rhubarb Custard Bars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + chilling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° until custard is set, 40-45 minutes. Cool.
- For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 198 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Sep 5, 2019
So yummy!! Everyone I shared with asked for the recipe!
Jul 27, 2019
This recipe is wonderful and a refreshing summer treat. The first time I made this recipe I used fresh rhubarb, but the second time it wasn't available and had to buy frozen. Still in the process of making it, but I'm sure it will be fine as long as it's completely drained.
Jun 23, 2019
Absolutely delicious!!! My kids loved them!
Jun 15, 2019
These are fabulous! Simple to make and so delicious! These have become a family favorite and requested often. I now buy lots of rhubarb when it is in season and chop and freeze just for this dish.
May 30, 2019
I made these exactly as written and THEY WERE AMAZING! The recipe definitely makes a lot of them (they're rich, so cutting them smaller is fine). I took them to two different events this past weekend and they were a huge hit at both. I'm definitely making these again!
May 9, 2019
Love, love, love this recipe, but the topping makes it too sweet. I make with either a meringue or drizzle a glaze on it. Fabulous recipe!!
May 7, 2019
Delicious!!! I made this once ( just as it is) and it got such great reviews from my family that i put it in my recipe box. I would suggest a very large 9x13 baking dish because it makes a lot. I will try cutting it in half the next time. A great way to use rhubarb!
May 6, 2019
Delicious!! I cut the recipe in half and put in a 9-inch square pan. I used almost 4 cups of rhubarb and I wish I would have used more. The crust is nice and sweet and the custard really goes well with the tart rhubarb. I didn't have the ingredients for the topping so I just used whipped cream. It was really tasty. Next time I am going to make the regular topping with the cream cheese and increase the rhubarb to 5 cups for a half size batch. YUM!!
May 5, 2019
I make this and my dad makes it we just don't put the topping on it's a big hit. My dad makes one every week to take to local diner and they ask him to bring in more every time.
Apr 7, 2019
I printed the recipe and noticed the crust calls for 1 cup cold butter TWICE and the filling calls for 5 cups of rhubarb TWICE. You may want to review and redo the ingredients listed.