Rhubarb Crumb Cake
When the rhubarb comes up, I'm the first one in our household to get at it. I treat my family to this cake every spring.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored breakfast drink mix, optional
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and orange drink if desired; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour milk. Fold in rhubarb.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon; stir in coconut and nuts. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 270 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Crumb Cake in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
May 18, 2014
This cake was very moist and yummy. I did not add the orange drink mix and it was still great!
Apr 30, 2013
This is a nice, moist flavorful cake. The family loves it. This is a keeper!