Rhubarb Crumb Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored breakfast drink mix, optional
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and orange drink if desired; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour milk. Fold in rhubarb.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon; stir in coconut and nuts. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 270 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
May 18, 2014
This cake was very moist and yummy. I did not add the orange drink mix and it was still great!
Apr 30, 2013
This is a nice, moist flavorful cake. The family loves it. This is a keeper!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.