- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups sliced fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 2 cups sliced peeled apples or sliced strawberries
- 1 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add rhubarb and apples or strawberries; toss to coat. Spoon into an 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, butter, flour and cinnamon until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until bubbly and fruit is tender. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forRhubarb Crisp
"Delicious - I cut down sugar a lot ...I used 2 TBSP of cane sugar for the filling and 1/4 cup of brown sugar for the topping and 1/4 cup of butter softened (not melted) to make it more of a crumble. I used a mix of rhubarb, frozen berries and apples and next time I would use a little more fruit ."
"My sister-in-law's birthday is on the 4th of July and she loves rhubarb. So I searched for a crisp recipe and found this one. Oh my goodness! I made it with rhubarb only, no other fruit and I added walnuts into the crumble topping. I served it warm with vanilla bean ice cream. It was outstanding!! Everyone raved about it! I think my mom said she loved it at least three times that day! I am going to try adding cherries to the rhubarb next time, because I will definitely be making this again! Great summer dessert!!!"
"Awesome! I couldnt find strawberries so used 2 pears instead - and it's super fruity and tastes of springtime :)"
"This is a delicious springtime dessert. I make it for my husband and I and he can't get enough of it. It is so good and the combination of rhubarb and strawberries are perfect."
"Great recipe, so yummy! I used apples instead of strawberries. and made two batches and gave one to my neighbour"
"I made this yesterday. I made a big batch and used both apples and strawberries in it. I quite enjoyed it and the friends with whom I shared it told me it was really tasty. I may make it again next year."
"Super delicious. Definitely a keeper."
"Thank you, ladies, for all the help. Marvelous apple recipe."
"Yummy! I substituted raspberries for the strawberries and it was delicious."