"I've shared this recipe with many people who tell me it's one of the best beverages they've ever had," affirms Hazel McMullin of Amherst, Nova Scotia. "It's an attractive and fizzy refresher."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 3 pounds fresh or frozen rhubarb, chopped (about 10 cups)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups lemon-lime soda, chilled
- In a Dutch oven, bring rhubarb, water and orange zest to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until rhubarb is very tender. Cool slightly. Strain through cheesecloth; discard pulp.
- Return liquid to the pan. Stir in the sugar, lemon juice, orange juice and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- To serve, pour 2/3 cup rhubarb mixture over ice; add 1/3 cup soda.