Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in rhubarb. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 195 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 26, 2011
this turned out really well... but I noticed in the directions to add cinnamon. the only cinnamon listed was for the toppping ~ SO I just didnt add any ~~ I also used whole milk instead of buttermilk and it tasted GREAT!!