- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in the egg. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Fold in rhubarb. Pour into two greased 8-in. square baking dishes.
- Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks. May be frozen for up to 6 months. Yield: 2 coffee cakes, 18 servings, 9 per cake.
Reviews forRhubarb Coffee Cake for a Crowd
"This was very good and I will definately make it again. It made so the house smell so good while it was cooking."
"Have made it several times and it always disappears quickly. It's always better after sitting for a couple of hours or even overnight. When using frozen rhubarb I increase the rhubarb by 1/2 cup."
"Greeted at work with a clean pan within 2 hours of bringing it in. Wonderful, easy recipe!"