- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in water and orange juice. Cook and stir until thickened and clear. Add rhubarb and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Pour into a 2-qt. baking dish. For dumplings, combine flours, oats, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Combine milk and oil; add to flour mixture, stirring lightly until blended. Spoon over rhubarb. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over dumplings. Bake at 425° for 40 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forRhubarb Cobbler with Oat Dumplings
"My husband and I enjoyed this recipe! The addition of orange juice is a nice change of pace from typical rhubarb recipes. I served this warm with a scoop of frozen yogurt."
"This recipe is delicious. How often do you find a dessert that is under 200 calories? I goofed and threw in the rhubarb along with the sauce as it was cooking instead of adding it after it was thickened and it still turned out fine. I didn't have o.j. on hand but used orange pineapple juice with good results. This is a scrumptious recipe that doesn't have trans fats. Weight Watchers would like to hear about this one. Loved it."
"Yummy! Note - the sugar, cornstarch, water & orange juice mixture never got clear, just thickened after I turned the heat up enough. Turned out great!~ Theresa"