Rhubarb Citrus Punch
Rhubarb grows abundantly in our large farm garden. I'll make this punch for summertime gatherings or for special occasions with our extended family. —Ina Frey, St. Clemens, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
Makesabout 12 cups
- 8 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 5 cups water
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 cups orange juice
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 quart ginger ale, chilled
- 1 quart fresh or frozen strawberries, optional
- Ice cubes
- In a large kettle, simmer rhubarb and water until rhubarb is soft. Cool; strain through several layers of cheesecloth. Measure 4 cups juice and return to kettle with the sugar. Heat until sugar is dissolved. Chill.
- Refrigerate or freeze any remaining rhubarb juice for another batch. Combine orange and lemon juices and rhubarb mixture. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Just before serving, stir in ginger ale and strawberries if desired. Serve in chilled glass over ice.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 153 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Citrus Punch in Country Extra July 1991