Rhubarb Cherry Cobbler
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 3 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- ALMOND TOPPING:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and allspice. Fold in pie filling and rhubarb.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt; stir in the cream and extract just until a soft dough forms. Drop by spoonfuls over cherry mixture; sprinkle with almonds and remaining sugar.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 382 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 9, 2015
CakeLady 11290 ~ Diced tart apple makes a decent substitute for rhubarb.Sue StetzelOnline Community ManagerTaste of Home Magazine
Jul 8, 2015
I hate rhubarb can I substitute something else ?
Feb 4, 2015
one of the best
Jun 22, 2013
The cobbler topping was so soft and delicious, the whipping cream is a wonderful addition! For the fruit mixture I used 2 cups of homemade cherry pie filling, 4 cups of rhubarb with 1 tbsp of flour, it was tart and a perfect balance to the topping, which I halved and baked in my round casserole dish, 30 minutes was perfect.
Dec 18, 2011
I had to halve this recipe and make it in an 8" square pan since I didn't have enough rhubarb. I love the dumplings, slight almond flavor nicely offsets the sweet/tart of the filling. Think I'll try it with other fruit combinations too.