Rhubarb Cherry Cobbler
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 3 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- ALMOND TOPPING:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and allspice. Fold in pie filling and rhubarb.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt; stir in the cream and extract just until a soft dough forms. Drop by spoonfuls over cherry mixture; sprinkle with almonds and remaining sugar.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 382 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 9, 2015
CakeLady 11290 ~ Diced tart apple makes a decent substitute for rhubarb.Sue StetzelOnline Community ManagerTaste of Home Magazine
Jul 8, 2015
I hate rhubarb can I substitute something else ?
Feb 4, 2015
one of the best
Jun 22, 2013
The cobbler topping was so soft and delicious, the whipping cream is a wonderful addition! For the fruit mixture I used 2 cups of homemade cherry pie filling, 4 cups of rhubarb with 1 tbsp of flour, it was tart and a perfect balance to the topping, which I halved and baked in my round casserole dish, 30 minutes was perfect.
Dec 18, 2011
I had to halve this recipe and make it in an 8" square pan since I didn't have enough rhubarb. I love the dumplings, slight almond flavor nicely offsets the sweet/tart of the filling. Think I'll try it with other fruit combinations too.