My daughter made a trip around the world and brought home this recipe from Iran. I've served it often to many of my friends and they always seem to savor its different, zingy taste.
Recommended: 51 Farmer-Approved Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried mint
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in butter. Remove meat from pan drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onions until lightly browned. Return meat to pan. Add saffron, broth, water, lemon juice, parsley, mint, salt and pepper; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Add additional water as needed. Add rhubarb during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Beef in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p89
Reviews forRhubarb Beef
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 15, 2014
"It is probably an acquired taste, not bad, just different."