Reynolds Italian Meatballs
Total TimePrep Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 30 min.
Makes8 to 9 large meatballs
- 1 Reynolds® Oven Bag, Large Size
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 jar (about 26 oz.) pasta sauce, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Hot cooked pasta or hoagie rolls
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Shake flour in Reynolds® Oven Bag; place bag in 13x9x2-inch or larger baking pan at least 2 inches deep. Pour 2/3 cup pasta sauce in a large bowl; set aside. Add remaining pasta sauce to bag; squeeze bag to blend in flour.
- Add ground beef, bell pepper, bread crumbs, egg, Italian seasoning, salt and garlic powder to pasta sauce in bowl; mix until well blended. Use about 1/3 cup mixture to form each meatball. Place meatballs in an even layer in oven bag.
- Close oven bag with nylon tie; cut six 1/2-inch slits in top. Tuck ends of bag in pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 160°F. Serve meatballs and sauce over hot cooked pasta OR cut meatballs in half and serve on hoagie rolls as meatball subs. Sprinkle shredded Parmesan cheese over meatballs, if desired.
Reynolds Kitchens Tip: Because Reynolds Oven Bags hold in the natural juices, use lean or super lean ground beef, if you like. Your meatballs will be flavorful and juicy without the additional fat.
Originally published as Italian Meatballs in Taste of Home Quick & Easy Spring 2010