VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 Reynolds® Oven Bag, Large Size
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 jar (about 26 oz.) pasta sauce, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Hot cooked pasta or hoagie rolls
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Shake flour in Reynolds® Oven Bag; place bag in 13x9x2-inch or larger baking pan at least 2 inches deep. Pour 2/3 cup pasta sauce in a large bowl; set aside. Add remaining pasta sauce to bag; squeeze bag to blend in flour.
- Add ground beef, bell pepper, bread crumbs, egg, Italian seasoning, salt and garlic powder to pasta sauce in bowl; mix until well blended. Use about 1/3 cup mixture to form each meatball. Place meatballs in an even layer in oven bag.
- Close oven bag with nylon tie; cut six 1/2-inch slits in top. Tuck ends of bag in pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 160°F. Serve meatballs and sauce over hot cooked pasta OR cut meatballs in half and serve on hoagie rolls as meatball subs. Sprinkle shredded Parmesan cheese over meatballs, if desired. Yield: 8 to 9 large meatballs.
Originally published as Italian Meatballs in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Spring 2010, p44