Every year, my grandma hosts a family reunion where these flank steak subs steal the show. They're topped with a "special sauce" that requires only three ingredients. For a quick dinner, serve them with coleslaw and macaroni salad from the deli.
Recommended: Potluck-Ready Summer Slow Cooker Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 6 sesame submarine sandwich buns, split
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 6 slices American cheese
- MUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 6-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for rare, a meat thermometer should read 140°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 5 minutes before thinly slicing.
- Spread butter over inside of buns. Place the tomatoes, onion, sliced steak and cheese on bun bottoms. Broil 5-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, mustard and Worcestershire sauce until blended; spoon over cheese. Replace bun tops. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Reunion Steak Sandwiches in Quick Cooking September/October 2003, p30
Reviews forReunion Steak Sandwiches
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2011
"Serve with plenty of napkins. They're 'finger-licking good'!"