- 1 egg
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 to 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Rye bread, optional
- In a bowl, combine the egg, onion, bread crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in rice. Crumble beef over the mixture and mix well. Shape into 15 balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until browned; drain.
- Transfer meatballs to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Arrange sauerkraut over meatballs; sprinkle with caraway seeds. Combine soup and salad dressing; spread over the top.
- Cover and bake for 35-45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Uncover; sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with rye bread if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forReuben Meatballs
"My husband and I really enjoyed these meatballs. I followed the recipe as printed, with two minor changes: I used 1# of ground beef instead of 1 1/2# and made mini meatballs instead of the large ones. The topping really makes the recipe and my husband can't wait for me to make this again!"
"My family loves this!!!"
"I loved this recipe, though I used corn flake crumbs instead of bread crumbs it adds just a hint of sweetness which plays nicely with the sauerkraut. Love this recipe."
"I LOVED this..didn't change a thing would make this again and again..thanks for the recipe"
"We love reubens and will definetly try these."
"I just made this for dinner...WOW it was delious ! my hubby and daughter loved it..was very tasty..just like a reuben I will definately make this again"