For a different casserole from the ordinary, this Reuben-flavored hot-dish is sure to be a hit. It has all the ingredients of a Reuben sandwich, but in the form of a casserole. —The Fremont Company
Featured In: 19 Reuben Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped cooked corned beef
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 slices rye bread, cubed and toasted
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- In a saucepan, saute onion and apple in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in beef, sauerkraut and caraway seeds.
- Spoon into an ungreased 2-qt. casserole. Drizzle with salad dressing; sprinkle with cheese. Toss croutons with remaining butter; sprinkle over cheese. Top with pimientos and pepper.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Reuben Casserole in Country Woman September/October 1997, p40
Reviews forReuben Hot Dish
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 21, 2013
"Mediocre at best. Would not make this again!"