After just one bite, my dad declared this sandwich a definite keeper. We think you’ll agree that the homemade horseradish sauce makes it a standout. —Kathleen Hicks, Kanab, Utah
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 4 slices caraway rye bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced deli corned beef or pastrami
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, chili sauce and horseradish. Spread butter over 1 side of each slice of bread. Spread sour cream mixture over unbuttered side of 2 slices; layer with cheese, sauerkraut and corned beef. Top with remaining bread, buttered side up.
- In a large skillet, toast sandwiches over medium heat until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted, 2-4 minutes on each side.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 484 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 1859mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Reuben Grill in Cooking for 2 Summer 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.