"My husband and children enjoy Reuben sandwiches, and this quick casserole is as close as you can get without the mess," remarks Colleen Hawkins from her home in Monrovia, Maryland.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 8 hot dogs, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Thousand Island salad dressing
- Place sauerkraut in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with caraway seeds. Top with hot dogs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with salad dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 289 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 1505mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Reuben Dogs in Quick Cooking March/April 2001