Reuben Chowder with Horseradish
This dish contains all of your favorite Reuben sandwich ingredients in a delicious soup. If you don't have bread, simply cut the Swiss cheese into strips and place it on the broth.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 5 ounces deli corned beef, chopped
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 slices rye bread, cubed
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring the vegetable and beef broth to a boil; stir in the horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and celery salt. Add the corned beef, sauerkraut and onion. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into four ovenproof bowls; top with bread cubes and Swiss cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 263 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 2207mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Reuben Chowder in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.