A REUBEN sandwich was always my first choice when eating out - until I found this recipe in a local newspaper. After that, my family could eat reubens anytime. Our daughters used to make these when they were in charge of preparing a meal. I usually had all the ingredients on hand, so it didn't take long to get everything on the table. -Betty Ruenholl, Syracuse, Nebraska
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup sauerkraut
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 slices Swiss cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a small saucepan, heat sauerkraut and caraway seeds; keep warm. Shape pork into two patties. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4-6 in. from heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Top each patty with cheese; continue cooking until cheese is melted. Drain sauerkraut. Place patties on buns; top with sauerkraut. Replace bun tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 456 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 457mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Reuben Burgers in Reminisce July/August 1997