If you're one of those folks who love Reuben sandwiches but don't care for corned beef, this recipe is for you! I serve these as a light supper with french fries and a green salad. - Bernice Muillenburg, Oregon
Recommended: 30 German Beer Garden Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup Thousand Island salad dressing, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 8 slices rye bread
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, 1/3 cup dressing, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four oval patties, about 1/2 in. thick.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat or pan-fry for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- Place each on a slice of bread. Top with sauerkraut, cheese and remaining dressing and bread.
- In a large skillet, melt 2-3 tablespoons butter. Toast sandwiches until lightly browned on both sides, adding butter if necessary. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Reuben Burgers in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p100