Restaurant-Style Prime Rib
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours + standing
- 1 bone-in beef rib roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tablespoons wasabi powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place roast, fat side up, on a rack in a foil-lined roasting pan. In a small bowl, mix salt, garlic powder, rosemary, wasabi powder, butter, pepper and herbes de Provence; pat onto all sides of roast.
- Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well 145°). Remove roast from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef: 311 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 1624mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 8, 2018
As Roger stated definitely not Restaurant style and worse not how you cook a 60 dollar piece of meat.Day before, rub the roast with kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and your favorite aromatic spice; I use thyme, in a 2-1-1 ratio. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and sit in the fridge. Next day remove from fridge 3 hours before you plan to cook. Preheat to 500 degree, insert a good thermometer and blast that baby for 30 mins. Reduce to 350 (do not open door) and cook till you hit 130F. Remove, wrap in foil, plate and let rest for 20 mins before carving. Perfect every time.
Jan 2, 2018
This is NOT restaurant style results. By FAR here is the guaranteed gold method: Pre-heat oven to 450; Prime-Rib at room temp; put your favorite rub on it; for every 1 lb roast, put in the 450 oven for 5 minutes (8lb=40min, etc); turn oven off DO NOT OPEN OVEN FOR ANY REASON for 2 hours; This yields a perfect texture, med-rare, ready to cut & serve "real" restaurant style prime rib! Try the rest of all recipes, then realize this is THE BEST BY FAR.
Nov 3, 2017
The whole baking process is too high, Look at the spinal's, it is well done, and the inside in med rare